pixels of the brain

↑ Grab Pixel's Headline Animator

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

CNR or CNK... that is the question...

CNR - Catch and Release
CNK - Catch and Keep Jeevan's and Saras's response to my earlier post instigated me to blog this.
When it comes to angling, this has been a well debated topic. CNR to what extend? Will the fish actually survive after being released? Are we doing more harm to the fish? etc. And if you CNK, will yo deplete the fish reserves in the waters, are you depriving the coming generations from fishing?

Basically amongst anglers around the world, CNK depends on certain issues like whether the fish caught is worth consuming, are we keeping a rare, or endangered species, is the caught fish actually going to do any good to us; Certain species like the cobia are pairing fish (meaning that they have a mate that it swims together). If you take one home, you deprive the other of its mate. So CNR is practiced.

But do fish actually survive after CNR? Experts say that their chance of survival is anything between 1% to 60%. It depends on many factors, like where the fish is hooked, what type of fish, what kind of hook, and how you have handled the fish after catching them. Whether fish feel pain at all, is another highly debated topic, and Dr. James Rose, an expert in fish neurobiology at the University of Wyoming has constantly said that fish don't have the brains to feel pain, but many studies show that fish act weirdly, and abnormally after being inflicted with pain, or venomous substances.
Even if the fish are not badly hurt by the hook, the very act of fighting our fishing lines, thrashing their fins, causes enormous psychological stress for the fish. Furthermore, after they are pulled up from depths very quickly, their breathing is affected. So with all this factors, even though a fish may appear to swim away normally after being released, some say that they might die due to these stress in a matter of 2-3 days.

But I think it is very advisable that fish caught, if they will not be used as baits for the next cast, better be CNR-ed. Atleast, they can become prey to some other fish. And why underestimate their up to 60% rate of survival? If you want to keep the fish and consume it, then kill it immediately, instead of letting it thrash around in the cold hard floor. Any comments?

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Saraswathi said...

I came to know a lot of things about fishing thanks to your post Reva.

But I have a question: Why go fishing at all if the anglers are going to hurt the fish in some way? I don't see the point in fishing if you are going to catch it and cause some pain(or at least some abnormality in the behavior of the fish as you mentioned) and then release it.

Why do anglers go fishing for pleasure?

Hmmm...*Thinking* I can understand about eating non-vegetarian food(though am a vegetarian myself) but I cannot convince myself about fishing just for pleasure.

4/23/2008 01:17:00 PM  
Blogger Pandhu said...

::Saras::

There are many reasons to why one might fish. Basically a man is a hunter by nature, so the primeval thougths are still in us to gain the satisfaction from hunting. Since hunting animals is really cruel, the next best thing is to hunt something, which might or might not actually feel the pain.

The very act of outsmarting the fish to eat your bait is not easy, it is really skill based, and is experience based. So the feeling of attaining somthing by efforts and intelligenec is unexplainable.

I like the sea breeze and the ocean under my feet when i go fishing. Its almost like meditating, when you sit in a calm place, waiting patiently for something to hook up to your fishing line. Patience is a virtue not many possess, and by fishing, you can practice it.

These are my reasons for fishing.

4/23/2008 01:33:00 PM  
Blogger Saraswathi said...

Reva,
Yes I can now understand the point of view of the angler with your explanation. I was just talking with my brother about why people fish or hunt, and he also gave similar explanations. I loved the thing that fishing needs expertise and patience. But somehow am still not convinced. Probably the reason could be that I have never gone fishing. So I might be missing out on the enjoyment of the experience and I am looking at the matter from a one-sided view...

I feel it is still wrong to go fishing for pleasure. But let me think about it more...

4/23/2008 01:42:00 PM  
Blogger Pandhu said...

::saras::
Actually you won't be understandin thinking about it, unless you try your hands on it. Then you feel the pleasure after waiting for a couple of hours, a fish finally bites your bait. I am not saying you should try.. but your opinion might change after that. I mean Salman might argue y it is worth going to jail for a deer. So this will go in circles.

4/23/2008 01:45:00 PM  
Blogger Saravanan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4/24/2008 10:39:00 AM  
Blogger Saravanan said...

I used to go for fishing during my school age. We used many methods to catch fish not just by hooking. It was fun to do it not only we had jolly time but we come back home with bag full of fish and later enjoy the meal. Those days I didn't really have any feeling towards such act. But my view has changed (earlier) when I started practising Sahaj Marg. I quit even eating non-veg before I started my practice. My Master used to tell even walking on the grass should be avoided if you can. I will certainly agree with Saraswathi's point now that we make them suffer (either they feel it or don't feel it) for our pleasure. Instead definitely we can sit down quietly on the beach by stretching our legs to touch the tide and enjoy the breeze. The Real pleasure is inside you when you dive deep inside your Self you will find it even more interesting than anything else in this world. We will also gain more patience

4/24/2008 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Jeevan said...

If we all feel like hurting fishes, none can't be a fish favorite's like me. It was interesting to read and the paired fish.

You have a tag to do dear, check my blog to know :)

4/24/2008 06:52:00 PM  
Blogger Pandhu said...

::sara::
good that i you are leaving by those lines. But i am sure you agree opinion differs. As what I told saras, this is not an argument we can put a stop to.

::Jeevan::
Did your tag by the way. And well.. haha, I think after putting up this post, ppl are starting to look at me like some villian.. are there not any fellow anglers around?

4/25/2008 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger Saravanan said...

Yes, Its exchange of opinion

4/25/2008 05:45:00 PM  
Blogger Saravanan said...

Yes Reva, opinion definitely differs. We are just exchanging our opinions here.

BTW, I sent couple of mails to your gmail. did you get them?

4/25/2008 05:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://janajaati.blogspot.com/2008/08/imminent-danger-to-thanjavur-big-temple.html

World Heritage Thanjavur temple: state-sponsored vandalism
http://janajaati.blogspot.com/2008/08/world-heritage-thanjavur-temple-state.html

9/20/2008 11:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading. Very Nice..
Becoming a fan of your work..
Cheers
Prabhu Nepal

10/03/2008 12:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home