pixels of the brain

↑ Grab Pixel's Headline Animator

Saturday, October 04, 2008

The Crane - National Bird of Singapore

The only constant is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account, not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be.
- Isaac Asimov
Change maybe the only constant, but I think Singapore is thriving on change a little too much. Ask any Singaporeans, and they will be quick to say, that they have lost the whatever little sense of nostalgia they had in the country. When a Singaporean shows you around his/her country, you cannot expect him/her to say, "Oh that was the place I used to play when I was young", or "That is my grandmother's flat, that is where my dad, and my uncles were born", or "That is the primary school I used to study in!". No you can't expect them to say things like that, because those places would have been knocked away from the face of earth years back, and in their place will stand newly constructed buildings, shopping malls, or pricey apartments.
Try entering the CBD of Singapore, and you cannot turn to a place, where there are not cranes. Of course! Because they are the national bird of Singapore anyway. Cranes dominate the skyline of Singapore, and there are just so much of them, that you can't keep up with them. And what do they remind you? "Change is the Only Constant".
So, since I am a Singaporean, and have constantly been living with these national 'birds' and loss of nostalgia, why am I suddenly blogging on this? Because, I woke up in the morning today (My first off day, since like 3 months, and have been working all 7 days because of 'Dhool' and was so looking forward to some uninterrupted sleep") to loud pounding under my block. When I looked down, I was appalled to see some major construction started near our void deck, and coconut trees around the area being chopped off, and sawed away mercilessly. Now nobody will understand if I tell them that I could see 3 coconut trees when I looked out of my window.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Vinesh said...

actually thought the crane was the national bird, until i read the post! good one there!

11/11/2008 02:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home