pixels of the brain

↑ Grab Pixel's Headline Animator

Sunday, January 15, 2006

ஒரு மசாலாவின் கதை... A Masala Story...

I cooked just now, after like 2 years. I only cook when there is no one at home, or rather no 'adults' at home. So only me and my sis were at home just now, so I decided to whip up a really simple dish, and I made mushroom masala. It was the first time I attempted at the dish, and it turned out real good, except for the fact, that I added a tit too much chilly, and my poor sister was drinking loads of water. But in any case, I don't think what I cooked will be classified even under mildy spicy in Hyderabad. Please don't ask me how I made the dish, because frankly I am not sure myself. The ingredients I know that is inside are mushrooms, garlic, onion, ginger, water, green chilli and salt. God knows what is the masala inside, because I put in a spoonful of whatever that was inside the different bottles of masala powder my mum has. The quantity of the ingredients are also something that I did not record down, it was done by intution and taste, but the total time I took to prepare the food is like 15 min. Upon making the mushroom masala, I laid a slice of cheddar cheese on a slice of bread, and spread the piping hot masala on the cheese, and covered it with another slice of bread, and pressed it down, until the cheese melted and flowed into the masala. Than me and my sis ate it like a sandwich. I thought it was really exciting, and my sister loved it. Cooking is really a good stress reliever, provided, that you love it, you don't treat it as a chore, and you are willing to experiment. I know of many who can cook, but don't particularly like it because of the the aftermath of the cooking process, the washing up part... but I don't mind it.. because I minimise the amount of equipment I use, and I often wash utensils like the chopping board and stuff, while the dish takes time to cook. The finished process, most often gives you satisfaction, especially what you cooked turns out how you intended it to be, or sometimes even better. As for my Mushroom masala, I did not have any expectations of the dish, and it turned out fine.. so that was a pleasant surprise. When I have my own place, I will definitely make it a point to cook everyday, because me and outside food don't go together. Somehow, nothing matched the taste of food cooked at home... maybe at home, we insist on adding an extra ingredient in all our dishes.. LOVE. Adding LOVE to taste, just before bringing down the dish from the stove, perhaps makes the food tasty, and addictive.
LOVE to COOK, COOK to LOVE

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lip smacking..Wish I cud get my hands on it :)

1/15/2006 11:50:00 PM  
Blogger Saraswathi said...

heyy reva...cool u cooked after long...I just love cooking during holidays...and u rightly said dat cooking is exciting if u do not consider it to be just another chore...And its all the more satisfying when ppl like the food cooked by u...
Food served with love for sure tastes heaven:D

1/16/2006 12:59:00 AM  
Blogger Naresh said...

oh! so ur sis is a sport 4 ur cooking.... the pic looks good, looks lk u hv bn influenced by Hyderabadi masalas, somethin of evrythin n a curry is done :P

1/16/2006 04:28:00 PM  
Blogger Jeevan said...

Pavam unga sister, Pongal atuvuma ungakitta matiketanga. Just a joke, You cook well, we are unlucky, dint have a change to tast u r Mushroom masala.

1/16/2006 07:56:00 PM  
Blogger Pandhu said...

::bard:: ::jeevan::
hahha.. will try to parcel and send you some mushroom masala...

::saras::
tell me about it, love and food are the best mix.

::ammu::
i'm glad that you share same sentiments with me about cooking alone.
I can't get Jaya TV here in Singapore.
Only Sun.

::Naresh::
Really, something of everything is the secret to Hyderabadi masalas?? Whatever it is, nothing can beat your mum's cooking da.

1/16/2006 08:34:00 PM  
Blogger Shashi Iyer said...

youch! that was, sadly, mouth watering :(... i'm pained everytime thoughts of good food come to me! oh no, i aint any maniac! this thing called college mess, as an institution, by itself, has accomplished much more than VLCC ever could (hope u know VLCC... weightloss centre blah blah). 12 kgs in 5 months, to be precise. u can even scrap out some of those *divine* days i could go home from those 5 months!

p.s.: lovely post :'(... lovlier title "oru masaalavin kadhai" :)

1/16/2006 08:51:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jeevan said exactly what I was about to say, paavam your sister :)

1/17/2006 03:22:00 AM  
Blogger sailu said...

"LOVE to COOK, COOK to LOVE"
I believe and love that quote...:)

1/19/2006 12:53:00 PM  
Blogger smiley said...

Looks delicious and mouth watering...

1/19/2006 09:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home