pixels of the brain

↑ Grab Pixel's Headline Animator

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Rang De Basanti as how I see it

The movies I say I like fall into some basic categories,
  1. There are some movies, which I give a standing ovation to, like 'Indian',
  2. some movies, which I just remain seated, and give a few thoughts to it, perhaps like 'Hey Ram',
  3. some movies which I would like to create some day, because of their extravagance and beauty, like 'Paheli',
  4. some other movies I would like to direct, like 'Salangai Oli', because of their simplicity, yet winning formula, and uniqueness
  5. some movies which I feel are close to my heart, like 'Anbe Sivam'.
Rang De Basanti probably falls into category 1, 2 and 5. I will not write a review about this one, or give away the story, but perhaps I would like to share why its close to my heart, when the movie is totally Desi, and well, I am not Indian by nationality. Singapore is a country, where no political figure has been assasinated, we don't have MiG planes crashing, corruption is somthing that is exclusive to third world countries, and it has been decades since anyone has been involved in strikes. I could have felt close to Rang De Basanti, because I like to make films myself, and winning in casting is winning half the battle. Most often, your cast are do not appear in the audtion, or the hundred of application forms, rather, they are around you, with you. Not only in casting, but I have experienced that ones I really love, I admire, and my true friends are not those I go in search of, somehow they come to me, or are always with me.. I just have to recognise them. I could have felt close to Rang De Basanti, because it might have been over-rated; actually, maybe it has nothing to do with Bhagat Singh at all... maybe the Rang is not even yellow or Basanti (mustard) but thats the least of my problems. As far as I am concerned, Rang De Basanti can be close to anyone, because the movie deals with humanity, love, friendship, choosing the way you want to live your life. What is the Rang we are talking about?? Is it really basanti? Or red, black?? We will never know, until we bring out the true Rang from within ourselves. In our course of live, many of us don't... we live life, believing in whatever that has been already told about it. For all those who came here in search of a movie review, I am sorry... there are times, when I just let my heart do the talking. I think this movie is worth that.

8 Comments:

Blogger Saraswathi said...

yeh RDB happens to be one movie close to my heart too....a good analysis of the movie...

2/04/2006 10:59:00 PM  
Blogger Boston Bala said...

I liked your categorizations of choicy movies!

2/05/2006 02:32:00 PM  
Blogger Naresh said...

Best words abt RDB i hv read anywhr! too good...

2/05/2006 02:35:00 PM  
Blogger Pandhu said...

::saras::
thank you saras, sure one of the best of recent times

::boston balaji::
thanks for dropping by... great thing you liked my categories..

::naresh::
thank you naresh...
hope you enjoyed the movie just as i did.

2/05/2006 09:29:00 PM  
Blogger Bala (Karthik) said...

While i agree about you choices for the #s 1,2,4, and 5, RDB disappointed me in the end. Anyway, i like your passion for the movie...

2/06/2006 10:36:00 PM  
Blogger Bala (Karthik) said...

"RDB disappointed me in the end"
in the end as in after watching, and NOT the climax.

2/06/2006 10:37:00 PM  
Blogger Pandhu said...

::bala(karthik)::
thanks for dropping by..
i get what you mean...
those were my feelings about the movie right after i watched it.
Rather than passion, i think i admire the scriptwriters. Good stuff in years i think. Great screenplay.

2/06/2006 10:49:00 PM  
Blogger Whoosh 2 said...

Quick question:

How will you sit and think as well as give a standing ovation at the same time???

2/10/2006 01:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home